Desiccant has been recognized as the valuable products for absorbing the moisture. It is a useful thing that keeps the product in a dry and stable form. The common types of desiccant include silica gel, activated alumina, molecular sieves, calcium oxide and calcium sulphide.
- Silica Gel: The silicon dioxide tiny beads make the silica gel for absorbing moisture and providing a long shelf life. Moreover, the silica gel is helpful for the packaging of food items, medicines, cat food, food additive, humidity indicator, beverages and nutritional supplements.
- Activated Alumina: It is available porous form. Furthermore, activated alumina is made from using aluminium hydroxide. It comes with high absorption ability, and it is effective for drying the gases, drinking water filtration, absorption of fluoride and biomedical. The absorption process includes alumina sticking to the water. Then, it prevents it from spreading all over the area. The water traps in it and then passes through the filtration process.
- Molecular Sieves: Molecular Sieves has the ability of moisture absorption at 225 degree Celsius. It low down the humidity levels of a particular area. It is a pharma desiccant, and the pharma companies use it as a bio-chemical in different processes.
- Calcium Oxide: The common name of calcium oxide is quick lime. It absorbs the large water vapour amount in the low humidity levels. The desiccant manufacturers use it in the packaging of dehydrated food items. It is because of its slow process of moisture absorption.
- Calcium Sulphide: Calcium Sulphide is also known as DrieriteT, is a non-toxic, non-corrosive, stable and non-disintegrating desiccant. Furthermore, it is prepared using dehydrated gypsum by desiccant manufacturers. It comes with a short and valuable life with low absorption ability.
Uses of Desiccant
The use of desiccant is to get the dryness state. It is a type of hygroscopic substance. Additionally, it absorbs water from the solids. Therefore, the uses of desiccants are as follows:
- Desiccant manufacturers use it in the packaging of food items.
- It is helpful to do the insulation of the windows. Moreover, the purpose of the desiccant is to reduce the condensation process in the windowpanes.
- The pharma desiccant is helpful to do the packing of medicines and other essential items for medical purposes.
- In livestock farming, there is the use of desiccant for newborn animals drying like piglets. The farmers use the excellent quality of the desiccant to save energy and quickly dry the desiccant. The animals must ensure their proper growth and development. Still, some desiccant comes with high PH level that could become harmful for the skin of animals.
- The uses of desiccants include reducing the pathogen and bacteria that occur in the wet areas.
- The desiccant purpose is to reduce the moisture present in the environment and induce dryness. The effective use of it is in the food, pharmaceuticals, electronics packaging and manufacturing industries.
Dry the solvents by using Desiccant
The desiccant plays a vital role to remove water from the solvent during the chemical reaction process. Some chemical reactions, including the Grignard response, cannot happen in the water present in the solvents.
These methods involve the water mixing with the solid desiccant. On the other hand, some studies have revealed the molecular sieves are the superior form of desiccant. The molecular sieves are the safe form of desiccant in the air.
Furthermore, you can recycle them too. Pharma companies use the pharma desiccant in the packing process and manufacturing medicines procedures. Apart from that, some desiccant with high PH levels is not suitable for use in the livestock. It can harm animal development if the farmer uses them.