English is one of the most common languages taught in many schools and universities across the world. American accent training is also popular. Many actors take up accent classes for their movie roles and students and professionals looking to sound better during their stay in the US.
Being one of the most globally communicated languages, learning English has numerous benefits both career-wise and socially. Taking the time to learn an accent has even more advantages for a specific country or a community. Take a look at some of the reasons why studying an American accent is beneficial for an individual:
- A Common Platform For Communication: American English is one of the most spoken languages in the world, professionally and socially. Knowing how to speak correctly without incorporating a thick foreign accent can open up numerous opportunities and share experiences between like-minded individuals. Having a thick accent is often a big setback for having job interviews or professional communication.
- Boosts Confidence: Learning to speak like an American helps boost confidence in a person’s abilities and learning. Having a better idea of the pronunciation and vocabulary can help people face challenges and struggle head-on, knowing full well that they have a better grasp of the English language.
- Better For Professional Settings: As mentioned before, having a thick accent will be seen as a lack of commitment to learning. Better accents have instilled appreciation among peers and positive influence among employers and bosses. Incorporating a good accent has helped gain favours, do away with setbacks in a professional environment, and give a competitive edge to people who haven’t mastered the language.
- Leadership Capabilities: People will always listen to those with a confident voice and articulate ideas into clear words. Having an accent can help achieve just that and more! Many residents, especially if one is working in the US, don’t fully understand foreign accents or any English covered in a thick accent. It’s not because of a lack of sympathy, and it’s just hard to grasp what the person is saying. Having an accent will change all that and make communication more clear for people to understand and comprehend. Plus, it’ll make them feel like they’re part of a single community striving towards a common business goal.
- Shine Through Meetings and Presentations: Having an accent that everyone can understand helps the present speaker ideas clearly and concisely. This allows superiors to understand and even appreciate what the person will be saying when they share a common accent. It raises confidence and boosts presentation skills, giving the individual the ability to pull off any meeting with ease.
- Social Circles: Having a thick foreign accent can bar some people from coming up and introducing themselves due to the fear of not being understood. American accent training can eliminate such obstacles and help individuals make friendships with their colleagues easily and make friendships with anyone without feeling shy. Having a good accent makes the person more approachable to communication, which is a huge advantage for making connections and networks.
- Credibility: Non-native speakers come off as strange and less believable because of their thick accents. Don’t be that person! Learn the right accent and gain the trust of individuals, strengthening the person’s credibility and enhancing their trustworthiness when the situation demands.